Saturday, November 19, 2005

Phillips or Flathead?

As either of my sibling can attest to, my mother has a great love for the screwdriver. I'm not talking tool belts here, but rather good ole fashioned OJ with vodka over ice. I'm not kidding around here kids, she has a high ball glass in a lauhala holder. The sound of ice in a glass brings back memories of playing with my action figures (or sister's Jem dolls) on the green lineoleum of my parent's 1976 house. Just like Tina in Mommy Dearest, I knew how to pour mommy's drink.

Now before you start thinking of my mom as a drunk, you have to realize that she is perhaps the most loving person you could ever meet. So what if she had a drink in the early evening? I say that a drink, a walk, or smoke ... whatever you need to unwind, is what we all need to stay sane.

This Thanksgiving, I am going to pour my mom a drink. It'll be in her favorite lauhala basket/cup combo, but this time I'll use Grey Goose and fresh squeezed Ka'u oranges. That'll make her day.

Cheers, mom!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: