Monday, June 09, 2008

Summer hits San Francisco

Summer has arrived to San Francisco, and contrary to popular belief, Mark Twain did not say the famous (or infamous) quote, "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco."

For lunch, I was feeling a little adventerous and went for a walk to Noe Valley where I discovered a small-town feel right in San Francisco. Seperated from Castro by a relatively large hill, Noe Valley is a world completely to its own. Like it's gay sister to the north, Noe Valley was once a neighborhood with working class families. Nowdays it is a blend of yuppies, young families with money and gays. Serviced by the J-Church Muni line and filled with beautiful Victorian homes, Noe Valley was rather pleasant in my opinion. I could definitely tell that it was a neighborhood that's heavily influenced by it's large gay population, but it was also prim and proper. 24th Street reminded me of a mini-main street where good looking young woment walked with their equally good looking offspring. Boutiques, cafes and flower shops dot the corners in this area of town where the sun shines brightly.

I made the tactical error of eating at Pomodoro. Who eats at a place that is named after the Italian word for "Tomato" during a massive salmonella outbreak in the US that stemmed from tomatoes? I sat down and enjoyed a cold glass of ice tea and a steak panini. After exploring the area, I jumped on the bus and returned to the Castro. I was just 15 minutes on foot away, but it felt like I was world's apart.


Sunny and peaceful.


Yum.


Back in the Castro. I couldn't help myself. A muscle-couple carrying their groceries and gallon of milk home. :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: