Wednesday, June 14, 2006

SLO - San Simeon - SFO

SLO - Hearst Castle - San Francisco

Well, it's been quite sometime since I've updated this blog and I wish I had some sort of explanation as to why. The only thing that I can say is that Gav and I have been so busy exploring the United States and I just haven't had time to sit down and format pics, upload images and write about it!

Gavin and I drove his Honda Accord up Hwy 1 from San Luis Obispo to San Simeon, home to Hearst Castle. It was a beautiful drive along the coast and we were treated to lovely weather.



Hearst Castle was built by newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst and sits on a 40,000 acre ranch overlooking San Simeon. Construction started in 1919 and continued through 1947. It was donated to the State of California in 1957 and is now a State Historical Monument and a National Historical Landmark. For more information, check out what Wikipedia has to say.











After our tour of Hearst Castle, we continued north on Highway 1 to San Francisco. We chose this scenic route over 101 and Interstate 5 even though it was the longest of the 3 choices. The drive took us through Big Sur, Carmel by the Sea, Monterey and Santa Cruz and was well worth the extra time and distance. It was just me, Gavin and the iPod cruising up the California Coast. Perfection.







Pelicans flying in formation.







Gratuitous food shot.

No comments: