Friday, October 06, 2006

Versailles

I have to confess that after being on the road for over five months and after traveling to various points on the globe, I have become a bit numb and my memories have begun to blend in with each other. Unlike a traditional vacation where I would visit somewhere for a week or so and then go home, we are going from country to country without a break or at the very least, a chance to reflect on our travels. I’m not saying that I am taking things for granted, but I am a bit sad over the fact that I haven’t really been able to savor each destination … until Paris.
Paris is amazing. Simply stunning. It was like I was in a movie or as if a postcard had come to life. With its art, culture, architecture and famous landmarks, Paris definitely makes an impression.

Since Gavin has visited Paris before, he took it upon himself to plan our itinerary. Day 2 included a trip to Versailles and the Eiffel Tower.

Built by France’s royalty, Versailles is now considered a rich suburb of Paris. After a quick train ride out of the city, we were at the doorstep of one of the most impressive man-made structures I have ever been to. With its beautiful gardens, over-the-top decadence and rich history, Versailles was quite a treat and its no wonder why the French are so proud of it. Any trip to Paris is not complete unless you visit Versailles. Words cannot begin to describe what we saw and I doubt our pictures will do it justice. It is impossible to properly put into perspective how massive and impressive the whole experience of visiting Versailles really is.

From the cathedral to the theatre and the famed Hall of Mirrors, Versailles is a monument to the decadence and power of the once great French Empire. Filled with art and gold, one could only imagine what it would have been like to be a visitor to this grand estate during the reign of Louis XVI.









Paris 2
Sep 27, 2006 - 17 Photos
 Posted by Picasa

No comments: