Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Big Apple

For spring break 2008, I took a trip to New York City to meet up with Joe (Dallas) and hang with our two good friends JL & Rich. This was an opportunity for me to try out United Airline's p.s. Service (Premium Service). United runs a specially configured Boeing 757 that flies between LAX, SFO and JFK that has only First, Business and Economy Plus seats. Each class of service includes certain amenities not offered on regular flights. I was lucky enough to land a seat in 1st and was spoiled rotten. The seats are angled lie-flat and were so comfortable that I slept for most of the 5.5 hour flight. When I wasn't sleeping, I played with the hand-held DVD player which had 10 movies, a dozen tv shows, a handful of games and about 200 songs. The food and drink were top notch and the double meal service was fine dining at 34,000 feet. It truly is the only way to fly between the coasts.

New York is an amazing city. The amount of art, culture and food can't be beat anywhere else in the world. Joe, Rich and I went to the MoMA and saw an amazing exhibit titled "Design and the Elastic Mind." I really enjoyed the exhibit and it defies description. I'm usually not a fan of modern art (a bunch of crap glued together is not art), but I was blown away by the combination of technology and design. I spent about an hour and a half exploring this exhibit alone. If you are in NYC, definitely check this exhibit out.

There is never a shortage of bars or restaurants in this city. We had drinks under artwork by Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Keith Haring, Richard Prince, Damien Hirst, and Julian Schnabeat the Gramercy Park Hotel bar and enjoyed fantastic food at the restaurant Wakiya. Other highlights included cupcakes from The Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery in the Lower East Side (my favorite cupcakes in the world) and my favorite izakaya restaurant, Kenka, where you end the meal with cotton-candy that you make yourself.

It was great seeing my friends and experiencing NYC, but I was exhausted and ready to return home at the end of my 6 days in The Big Apple. New York is such a dynamic place that never has a dull moment and I'm sure I'll be back to NYC sometime soon.


30 Rock.


United p.s. Service was amazing.


Joe and I LOVE meat.

John and I love cupcakes almost as we love argyle.

Posted by Picasa


No comments: